Sunday, October 21, 2012

They Live (A movie you should see)

They Live

This should be on your list of movies to see.  You should watch this movie.  Now obviously I want you to buy it through my link because that benefits me, but this is a beg, borrow, or steal situation.  See the movie.

Is it a good movie?  No.  Is the acting wonderful or the effects dazzling?  No.  Does the pacing frequently make you want to scream, "Get on with it!"?  Yes.  Is there misogynistic language?  Yes.  Misogyny of myriad other forms?  I'm sure.

Should you see this movie?  Yes.  Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

It should be on required viewing lists.

I don't want to say it's allegory because I fear that'll drive you away, but it is.  Even if you don't like allegory you should still see it.

What is it an allegory about?  Well, like all allegories that's a bit fuzzy.  Is it capitalism, the patriarchy, the kyriarchy, class warfare, imperialism?  Any, all.  Yes.  No.  It's an allegory and and allegory can apply to too many things to really say.

It's also a story in its own right and not a bad one at that, if it suffers for execution.

And, if you ever want to understand the phrase, "I'm all out of bubblegum," this is where it comes from.

-

I bring this up because I'm in the process of recording as much of it as I can (I have no money, while TV remains I'm recording whatever I can whenever I can, but I lost track of time, so I'll only get a portion of the movie.)

No comments:

Post a Comment